Permanent identification for horses has taken a huge step forward with development of a modern network for tracking and recovery of missing and stolen animals. Microchips provide permanent, positive identification for all ownership issues:
- Positive I.D. by law enforcement in theft recovery cases.
- Emergency response teams scan all recovered animals following disasters.
- Microchipped horses that have been registered in HORSEtrac™ can be quickly reunited with owners.
- Verification that a horse to be transported is in fact the correct animal.
- Provides quick identification of look-alike foals and yearlings
Microchips have been recommended as one method of permanent ID by the Equine Species Working Group for the USDA’s National Equine ID Program. Included in the cost of the chip is lifetime enrollment in the AVID recovery network (nominal fee for change of registered information or ownership of horse).